Saturday, August 2, 2008

Orbit Maui Melon Mint Gum

Orbit Maui Melon Mint

I think I've mentioned before that I love Orbit gum. Well, I was looking at the Wikipedia page for Orbit and discovered that, of the 16 existing flavors of Orbit gum in the US, I've tried 13. Not too shabby!

I also learned that Orbit was introduced in 1944 as the best Wrigley could do during rationing, reintroduced in 1977, and then again in 2001 (when I started chewing it, seeing as I wasn't born until the 1980s).

Orbit Maui Melon Mint

In this first of four Orbit reviews, I'll cover Maui Melon Mint. When you smell the gum, all you smell is Doublemint. I love Doublemint, though, so that's a perk for me! It actually takes a while for the melon flavor to kick in at all, and it's very subtle. If I didn't know it was melon gum, I'd think it was just mint. I'm guessing it's watermelon by the color of the box, but I do taste a little honeydew. Mostly, I taste Doublemint. It has a great texture, though, lots of bounce and firm without being hard.

So, if you're looking for a true melon gum, I guess I'd recommend the Ice Breakers Kiwi Watermelon over this, although this Orbit is actually more cooling for the mouth. I really wish this had more melon flavor. It does give you that "just brushed clean feeling" though.

B+

Orbit Website

2 comments:

Connie said...

I really like this one tastes like cantaloupe and honeydew to me. This is probably my current favorite. For me the flavor on this one lasts the longest. I still need to track down the fruitini one though...

ebidebby said...

My friends at work liked it a lot, too.