Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Nestle Sakura KitKat

Sakura KitKat

During our weekend in Toronto, we went to the Pacific Mall to look for Japanese snacks, and I found them. Because I wanted to restrain myself at least a little, I got mainly KitKats. This is the first of several. I was really amazed with the selection of KitKats available at Pacific Mall, but couldn't bring myself to spend $8 on a bag of mini KitKats, so I stuck to the regular sized ones.

There's quite a bit of flowery (ha) text on this box. Sakura (cherry blossoms) are an important symbol of Japanese culture, so it's rather exaggerated here. The box says up top "The sakura will definitely bloom..." and "Spring will surely come, wishing for sakura in full bloom." The name of the KitKat itself is something like "snow look sakura." It's all very flowery, indeed.

Sakura KitKat

The bars themselves are gorgeous, but I love a swirly KitKat. The actual KitKat is good, but maybe not as inspiring as the box. It's very interesting and definitely tasty, but not as good as some other KitKat varieties out there (for example, Caramel).

The cherry flavor is light, and a little flowery. It's almost soapy, but my husband said that it tasted like how you wish soap would taste. What it really reminded me of was cherry frosting or a cherry cupcake. Very sweet, slightly floral, and fruity. Definitely a winner.

Check out the photo pool links below for many, many more photos of different flavors of KitKats. Also, if you have suggestions for better translations than mine of this box, please let me know.

B+

KitKat Website (Japanese)
Have a break, have a KitKat photo pool on Flickr
Japanese KitKat photo pool on Flickr

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried the little bite versions of the Sakura KitKat. I dunno, it just didn't have enough oomph for me. But they do make nice packages for those limited editions.

ebidebby said...

I do know what you mean. I would LOVE a full on cherry flavor, has there been one? I can see why they would want to keep Sakura flavor delicate, but it is rather underwhelming.